Monday, March 21, 2011

Macaroni and Cheese

I do my best not to serve a lot of processed foods. Marty and I both grew up with Kraft being the only macaroni and cheese we knew of other than our school's pasty version. This is the recipe I've been using for years. We prefer it to be cheesier, so this is "my" recipe. It's also half the original recipe since we can't consume a 13 x 9 pan. And I don't really like having it as leftovers.

Printer-friendly version

Macaroni and Cheese

½ lb. macaroni (approximately 2 cups)
1 ½ tablespoons butter
1 ½ tablespoons all purpose flour
1 ¼ cups milk
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon parsley
1 ½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (6 ounces by weight)



Topping:
½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
¼ cup breadcrumbs



Cook macaroni according to package directions and drain. Melt butter in saucepan. Add flour and combine. Add milk, salt, pepper, mustard, and parsley. After warmed, add the 1 ½ cups cheese and melt. Add cooked and drained pasta. Stir to combine. Pour into greased 8 x 8 baking dish. Combine remaining cheese and breadcrumbs (I prefer Italian style). Sprinkle over pasta. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes.


Jaime

No comments: