Wednesday, July 23, 2008

How we found out

I suppose the best way to start this blog is to tell the story of how we found out I was pregnant. It's a great story I will never forget.

Quite a few people knew that we were trying. We had been trying for a year, actually. I had an appointment scheduled with my ob/gyn for June 11th. We were going to talk about testing me for infertility. I had put getting pregnant in the back of my mind knowing we were headed toward some answers. I wasn't paying any attention to my body.

I woke up Sunday, June 8th, and Marty was already in the living room having his morning coffee. I decided to test. I took a Dollar Tree test and saw the faintest second line. Whatever. Those tests cost a whole dollar, they can't be reliable. I'm still half asleep and maybe it's my eyes playing games with me. I took a digital. Sat down and made myself as comfortable as possible in the bathroom. I know how long "Not Pregnant" takes to show up. It's torture. I sat down, then immediately looked up. Pregnant. No freaking way. I grabbed the stick, focused, and sure enough that's what it said. I somehow screamed a quick "Marty" and took off running to the living room.

We ran into each other in the hallway, which is not that far from the master bath. It was enough of a run for me to be bawling and shaking. I so gently shoved the stick in Marty's face. He tells me I said "I've never seen this before." We grabbed each other and hugged. I could feel Marty shaking with excitement. I jump up and down and repeat "Oh my God, Oh my God." The best feeling, EVER.

We went about our day. I had to study and Marty volunteered to go grocery shopping to give me some quiet time to study. He got home and I told him all I could think about was me being pregnant. He said "Me too, honey. I'm happy."

It was also the best birthday present ever. My birthday is June 15th, one week after we found out. I was on cloud 9 with this news. More to come about how we told the family!

No comments: