Since we were planning on going home June 12-15, we figured we would go ahead and share our news. The family was throwing a surprise retirement party for Marty's dad on Saturday, then Father's Day was Sunday along with it being my birthday. Perfect.
We left Thursday morning for home (DeRidder, LA for those that don't know). It takes about 6 hours. We had the entire drive to figure out how we would tell. We didn't even talk about it! I guess we were still soaking in the news. I even had Marty stop at a Walgreen's so I could pick up some more tests!
We arrive at my parents' house that afternoon. We do the usual. Let the dogs out to run around with no leashes in the back, talk about the drive, and what our plans are for the weekend. I snuck inside with one of the tests and went to the back. I went to the living room to get my sister. I had her look at the test. She got a HUGE grin on her face. I'm pretty sure she's happy! She's either really excited about the baby or excited she found out first. haha She's excited about the baby.
I sat down on the couch next to Marty. We're talking about how my parents need to come visit. My mom had two surgeries on her back and neck which made her unable to travel. We told them they should try coming in February. Blank stares. I'm grinning. Mom starts counting on her fingers and it hits her. They laugh and smile about it. What happens after that is a fog. It's been quite a few weeks since this actually happened and I was on Cloud 9. It's hard to remember details. I'm sorry for that.
How we told Marty's parents:
Since my father-in-law's party was a surprise, we had to hide why we weren't spending much time with them. My mother-in-law knew what was going on. We were going to wait until after the party Saturday afternoon to tell them. But my parents decided to have them over for dinner and birthday cake Friday night. I was helping with dishes afterward and whispered to Marty I couldn't hold it in any longer. We have to tell.
We sat back down at the table after we had some ice cream cake. Thank you Mom! Me and Marty on one side, his dad sitting next to him, and his mom across from us. We did the same bit we did with my parents. Why don't you come visit us in February? Blank stares. Well, you know, there are three of us sitting over here, you'll just have to wait a while to meet the third one. Ms. Becky squeals with joy. Perfect reaction from her.
The rest of Marty's family found out at the retirement party through whispers. We told his sister and grandmother ourselves before that, so it was more than us telling!
Everyone is thrilled about this baby. Which makes it even more exciting for us. There are five grandchildren on my side and seven on Marty's side. Only one girl on each side. Quite a few people have said it's a girl. We should know in about 9 weeks!
