Saturday, April 4, 2009

I promise













The birth story is coming soon. Not sure if everyone wants to read it, but I want to get it down in writing for myself.



Jack is doing fantastic. He's pushing 11 pounds and is 22.5 inches long. How crazy is that? He's been smiling in response to us talking to him and silly noises. He's discovering his voice and getting better control of his bobble head. He's been holding his head up since shortly after we brought him home. His eyes are always taking something in. He wants to be able to look around and see what this world is all about. He does great in the car as long as we're moving and he has his pacifier. He is hooked to the pacifier! I don't mind at all. If that's the only thing that calms him after we've done everything under the sun ourselves, so be it. A lot of times, he just wants to be left alone. After being held and walked around, if he's still fussy, we lay him down and he chills out.
He's had his first real bath which was not so much fun for him or Mom and Dad. We got rid of the newborn insert and we're all much happier with the baths now.


He doesn't look too happy in the second picture, though!










He is a wonderful baby. If he's crying or fussy, he needs something. He puts himself to sleep most of the time. We don't have to sit up in the middle of the night with a wide-eyed baby. He sleeps about 3-4 hour stretches at night. We know we are very lucky. During the week, Marty sleeps through the feedings and diaper changes, but on the weekends, he gets up to change Jack. I still have to feed him since I'm breastfeeding, but that's okay. I'm at the end of New Moon and I was up for an hour after I finished feeding him at 4:00am trying to finish it. I fell asleep and woke up a little later with my face in (on?) the book. Isn't it something I want sleep so bad, yet I stay up to read???


Cloth diapering is going well too. Jack looks super awesome in his new bumGenuis 3.0 (the orange diaper below).






I've heard the sun can do some amazing things with cloth. I hung the diapers on the clothesline and ALL the poop stains came out. Pretty cool, right?




Grandma and Grampy have already visited again. Jack was spoiled by Grandma. What's new there? She bought him a mobile for his crib that he loves and gave away lots of snuggles and kisses. He didn't mind at all. Grampy even held Jack for a little while. I think my dad is a little afraid of tiny babies. I don't think he minded at all when we were small, but it's been a LONG time since we were Jack's size!








Jack's been on a few outings. We visited Cindy and Carrie last week. Carrie wanted to hold him. She was happy about it, but wasn't too sure what to do with him!


We even stopped by to see Daddy at work. All the guys were glad to meet the little man. I'm not quite ready to tackle the grocery store alone with him. I would have to put him in the Moby or keep him in his seat and put that in the cart. It's hit or miss with the Moby and there's no room for groceries with him in the cart since he has to go in the big portion (the upper part is not safe for infant seats). We've done quick runs to Target, but that's about it. Marty helps with the big trips.


This is the Moby. It was a hit that day. There's the pacifier again!




I know this seems so silly, but I still can't believe this little guy is ours. Am I really a mom? How the heck am I old enough to do this? I'm almost 28 and I still feel like I'm too young to be someone's mother. It feels like not too long ago I was a little kid myself. Time really does fly. I know the days are going by much faster now that we have Jack. I'm enjoying every second of it though. He is the greatest thing that has ever happened.

3 comments:

Christina T said...

I just love reading Jack updates from you Amanda. You can tell that you are an amazing mother - and that little boy has totally changed your life. I'm insanely happy for you and Marty!

AmberKoren said...

Can't wait to read your birth story! I'm waiting very patiently!!!!!!! haha

Amber

Mama Self said...

I found you!!! I was THRILLED to get the birth announcement...and then to find your blog, too. :) Jack is gorgeous, and we are so happy for you all.

Oh, just to warn you, the first baby is usually quite easy compared to the second, so don't be too shocked down the road. Fortunately, they grow into sweethearts(at least mine did!!).