Monday, September 29, 2008

A one night getaway

A few months ago, Marty heard about a fishing tournament, Take a Soldier Fishing. He signed up with a quickness. If anyone has the opportunity to particpate in an event like this, do it! There are a few things at the top of my husband's list of priorities: God, family, and fishing. Oh, and we can't forget about motorcycles. He hasn't had much free time lately, so the tournament was just what he needed.

We drove the 2+ hours east to the lake Friday afternoon. We get to the room we reserved and let's just say, even Marty was a little skeeved out by it. We were running late for his check-in. We head to the marina, and I stopped by the motel right by the check-in to see if they happened to have any rooms. No rooms. I think the lady saw the desparation in my eyes and mentioned she knew a lady that had an apartment added on above her garage. So she calls the nice lady and she says we can stay there. I was going to be in tears if I couldn't find another room. I wish I would have taken pictures of the skeevy "resort" room. The room above the nice lady's garage ended up perfect. Even if it had twin beds.

I'm so glad I decided to go with Marty. It was touching to see how generous people can be to the military community. I don't know how many "soldiers" (my husband is a Marine, not a soldier, haha) were there, but there were plenty. They had a fish fry, imagine that, Friday night. Kevin, Marty's boater (sponsor) came in Saturday morning instead of Friday because he was on a business trip. I was even excited to meet the man! How cool of them to offer their time, and GAS, to take these men and women out on the lake.

His boater (sponsor), Kevin, has been fishing on Lake Fork for years. Turns out, he's originally from Louisiana! How awesome is that? Kevin told Marty he would be able to find him in the crowd because he would be wearing an LSU hat. He went to the little diner to meet him for breakfast. I followed soon after. Then, they were off. I was left behind to finish my breakfast. I missed seeing them off, but I shot a couple of pictures of some guys fishing. I have no clue who these people are, but it ended up being a nice shot.

Photobucket

I headed back to the "room" and slept for another two hours. Come to find out, Marty had only slept about three hours. Being on night crew screwed him up for this weekend!

Kevin told me how great the pie at the diner is, so I woke up and headed there for lunch and pie. Their sign out on the highway even says "My Oh My The Pie" and they are so dead on. That was some GOOD pie. Good enough that I went back to sleep! After my siesta I went back down to the marina to meet up with Marty for the weigh-in.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Some of the prizes in the tournament went to the biggest bass, along with second and third biggest. Well, they also had a smallest bass prize. The last picture is when Marty was up for his weigh-in. He had everyone laughing when he said they were shooting for winning the smallest bass prize. Goofball. Their 5 fish weighed less than the biggest bass! We couldn't help but laugh about that.

Quite a few military men and women participated in the tournament. They're hoping for an even bigger crowd next year. I believe this was the first year this bass club had sponsored this event. I'm so glad Marty was part of it.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Marty and Kevin:
Photobucket

We met a friendly fellow while we were there. This cutie was left behind by Hurricane Ike. Marty gave me a stern NO when he saw the look on my face when I heard that. I hope he finds a home soon!

Photobucket

Oh, and no trip would be complete without something going on with the dogs. They cost us an extra $400 last month between Molly having an emergency clinic visit and Rayleigh having a cyst on her paw. They came back from our trip with fleas! Yes, those disgusting little creatures that jump and bite. Disgusting. They NEVER have fleas. I blame myself for not keeping them treated with Frontline. It's like that saying "Why fix what's not broken?" That's how I felt about Frontline before this. From now on, they will be treated every other month for fleas to prevent this from happening again! I was so upset about my poor babies itching I sat and cried about it. I immediately gave them their Frontline treatment and started on laundry. I've been taking them outside a few times with the Furminator to comb out any nastiness. Poor kids.



Jaime

No comments: