Thursday, September 11, 2008

Our visit home to DeRidder, LA

It's been a while! This might be long, so you've been warned. Our trip home was great. That is very unusual considering it's normally full of things to do and always stressful. Strange enough, we were home for a week! We went home for Marty's mom and dad's 40th anniversary party. It also happened to be my niece Katelyn's 5th birthday. We arrived Thursday, August 21st. Her birthday was the following day. My mom had mentioned she was going to take cupcakes to her class and asked if I wanted to go with her. Why did she even feel the need to ask? Of course I wanted to go! We found the perfect cupcakes, since we call her Katie Bug. I thought it was a pretty darn cool cake!

Photobucket Image Hosting

Marty and I found the birthday crown and flashing Birthday Princess pin. I insisted she wear it, she was game. The kids all loved the sugary goodness that was the cupcake. Katelyn even decided she needed to lick the frosting off the board they came on.

Photobucket Image Hosting

Her birthday was celebrated again at mom's house so the family could participate in the festivities.

Photobucket Image Hosting

I promise, her hair was pulled back and she did not catch fire. She did get a cool 3D movie from her mom and modeled the glasses for us.

Photobucket Image Hosting

So begins the teeny bit of stressed we experienced the entire trip. The cake for the in-law's party. Marty's sister decided she wanted to try and make the cake. None of us had any experience. The cake tasted excellent when all was done, but it was not the prettiest of things. The guests of honor were happy, as usual.

Photobucket Image Hosting

Marty has a rather large family compared to mine. The Wyatt family filled up the fellowship hall in minutes. He has so many cousins around the same age, there were 3 babies born in the same month a couple of years ago! I believe there is only one other cousin that is expecting a baby besides me. I could be wrong. The party was a big success. The cake was great, there were lots of compliments about how delicious it was. We were beat though. I was too busy mingling and serving cake and punch to get any pictures. Boo.

I went with my mom to pick the kids up after school every day we were there. How awesome is that? One day, I hope to still be a SAHM and I can pick our kids up from school. I helped with homework. The kids are too smart for their own good. Daren even sang for us. Pardon the talking in the background, I didn't want him to know I was recording for fear of him not continuing with his awesomeness.



While we were there, the electric company sent work crews to clean up anything and everything that was below the powerlines that risked growing and downing the powerlines. It was likely in preparation for the hurricanes that were sure to come. The powerline to my parents house runs directly over the fence. They just came through and chopped everything down at fence level. Nice. Not so much, it was ugly. They even cut down my mom's volunteer magnolia tree! Eh, I'm sure it would have enventually posed a problem with the powerlines. Marty decided to finish the job. It was hot out as you can tell...

Photobucket Image Hosting

I spent most of the day time with my mom. We went to a local cross-stitch shop and dug through tons of patterns. She found a pattern for the baby. She rocks with the cross-stitching. She taught me when I was 8. I always have a project going now. I'll post pictures of that later. This entry is already getting way too long! We met up with Jessica, my sister, for lunch most days.

Photobucket Image Hosting

Photobucket Image Hosting

The goodbyes came too soon. I wanted to make sure and say bye to my sister and her kids before we left.

Photobucket Image Hosting

I even had some terrible stomach pains come over me and we got a late start home. It was overall, a wonderful trip to Louisiana. Makes me miss it there, sometimes a little, but this time, a lot. The fun was not over though! We got back to Fort Worth late. We let the dogs out one last time at 10:00 before heading to bed. I called them to come inside, no dogs running toward me like they normally do. They finally came barrelling in. Only Molly was coughing and swatting at her mouth. Crap, what did she get into now? I grab her and spray her mouth in the sink. Still hacking. Marty goes outside to see what they had gotten themselves into. He finds a toad. Great. Then Molly starts throwing up. Nice. I get in panic mode after I get a picture of the toad and look online to see if it's poisonous. It looked exactly like the Cane toad, which could kill our little dog within an hour!

Photobucket Image Hosting

We head to the emergency clinic with the nasty toad. Molly had already thrown up at least 15 times. I had it all over me by the time we arrived, with me still in a panic thinking my puppy is going to die from licking a toad. She was a pitiful sight too. The vet checks her out, her vitals look great and that's a sign the toad was not toxic. They give her a shot and it kicks in within 10 minutes. All she wanted to do was curl up inside her blanket and go to sleep. They came back in and told us it was NOT toxic. Thank goodness! We head home around 12:30, $145 less to our names. Molly was going to be okay, that's all that mattered. It was such a long day. That darn toad-licker.