Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Two short trips

Marty's 30th birthday was mid-November. He and his closest friends, Colin and Josh, planned a trip to Laredo for some deer hunting on Colin's father-in-law's land to have a mini celebration. Josh flew in from Cherry Point, he and Marty drove to Austin and met up with Colin and KC. They made the drive down to Laredo where they stayed in what Marty described as a single-wide trailer. Not really roughing it now, huh?


They had a great time together, bonding over steak, beer, and a grill. No deer were killed, as they were limited to spikes only. Marty sent me a picture of some does he was watching. He even included the barrel of his gun in the picture to show how tempting it was to go ahead with the kill. Here are a few pictures from his trip.





Josh sitting on top of Marty's truck:
Josh and Colin being manly men:

Marty was jealous of a kill:


Marty and Josh got back Sunday just in time to make it to the airport to pick up Micah. He arrived from Alexandria, wishing he could have stayed on the plane a little longer. Not because he didn't want to be here, but because he is fascinated by planes and flying. That was part of the reason he came to visit. All we did that night was eat some dinner and get some rest. The following day we made our third trip to the airport to drop off Josh. We love Josh. He's a wonderful guy, and I'm so glad Marty has such a great friendship with him and Colin.


More about Micah's visit to Fort Worth. Micah, as mentioned before, loves planes. He wants to eventually become a pilot. He has asked numerous questions about the Marine Corps. His mom, Marty's sister, is 100% supportive of him joining the military to persue his dreams. He's not the kind of person to make a quick decision. He thinks things through until he knows all the facts. I don't think I've mentioned that he's only 16. He calls Marty quite often asking about things, wanting to know every little detail. We (me, Marty, Micah, and Micah's mom) thought it would be great to have Micah visit us all by himself so we could show him around all on his own.


We took Micah on base to show him the various aircraft on display. We also stopped by the squadron to see if there was a plane in the hangar we could check out. I think Micah was pretty impressed with the C-130, as he sat in the pilot's seat for at least 30 minutes asking Marty questions.





We were even able to see another C-130 being towed into the hangar for repairs. This poor plane has been through so much lately. It was parked in the hangar for what seemed like months going through repairs (pardon me for not knowing the exact terminology for what was going on with it, it was something major). I would bring Marty dinner while he was on night crew and I would remark on how this plane was STILL being repaired.




I'm just now remembering, the sun was shining too bright to get a picture. Those guys are opening the hangar up for the plane. That's the best I could do!




Marty, being a goof.







Marty showing Micah the proper way to do a pull-up.


I don't think Micah had any problems, though.


Uncle Marty had to include a ride on the bike.


No trip to Fort Worth is complete without a visit the the stockyards to see the longhorns.










I can't count the number of times I've been to the stockyards to see the little cattle drive they do twice daily. I'm still fascinated by these massive animals moseying along the street with crowds lined up on the sidewalk.


We also stopped by Billy Bob's, to see what they had to do during the day. I have to admit, it's a bar for those that don't know.




Marty took this picture at the steakhouse we had lunch at, I had to include it in the manly-ish blog.



Jaime

No comments: